Sunday, December 13, 2009

pasta puttanesca



Okay, so Mike and I don’t like olives. I know, I know, I have an Italian father, so I should love olives. But, I don’t. And traditionally, pasta puttanesca has olives. It’s kind of the definition of the dish. But, sorry, I pick them out of salads. It’s honestly one of the only things I won’t eat. So we added artichokes instead! Come on now, don’t roll your eyes! Artichokes are Mediterranean too so don’t hate on them! But hey, if you love olives, add them back in!



Pasta Puttanesca
Serves 4.
12 ounces whole-wheat thin spaghetti

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 can artichokes, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons capers
1 teaspoon anchovy paste
1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
Grated Parmesan, for garnish


Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add pasta and cook according to the directions on the package.
While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet over a medium flame. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the parsley, capers, anchovy paste, oregano and crushed red pepper to the skillet, and saute for 2 minutes more.



Add the artichokes and tomatoes and simmer for about 5 minutes.



When the pasta is done, drain it and add it to the skillet, tossing it with the sauce to combine. Top with grated cheese. Enjoy!




6 comments:

  1. i don't get it.. hates olives but likes capers?????? o well

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I know. But at least capers are so tiny that one twang of saltiness and its over :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you really need capers, at least....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what "puta" means but what is a "nesca"? heahahhahahahah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahha! "Puttana" means woman of the night, in Italian. They would put steaming bowls of this pasta in their windows to entice the men in the houses ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...