Tuesday, January 19, 2010

cream of tomato soup


I am not* a tomato soup person. I don’t like thinned- out tomato water with no flavor. The only tomato soup I’ve ever enjoyed with the tomato basil soup from La Madeleine’s in Dallas.

But, being a good girl, and a good cook, I decided to try making it. So, it was with very heavy reservations that I looked up a couple recipes and changed them all to fit what I would think would be a good soup.

The entire time I was cooking this soup, I was thinking, “yuck. I love tomatoes, why am I destroying them by souping them. Yuck.” And even as I was bringing the spoon to my mouth to taste for seasoning, I was thinking, “blah blah blah. Tomato soup, blah. This has destroyed my whole dinner.”

And, boy, I couldn’t have been more wrong. From first taste, I was in love. Creamy and rich and tomato-y, I quickly asked for forgiveness from ever doubting homemade tomato soup and quickly slurped up about 3 bowls during re-runs of Top Chef. I froze some tiny portions for Mike’s lunches and saved 2 bowls for me in the fridge. I ate one for breakfast the next morning.

Have I convinced you to try this? I know I convinced myself.


was not*


Cream of Tomato Soup

Serves 4.

Adapted from The America’s Test Kitchen Cookbook, mostly

2 28-ounce cans whole tomatoes packed in juice, drained, 3 cups juice reserved
1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter
1 onion, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoon flour
1 ¾ cups chicken stock
½ cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons bourbon
Salt and cayenne pepper


Preheat oven to 450°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. With your fingers, carefully deseed whole tomatoes over strainer set in bowl, allowing juices to go through strainer into bowl. Spread seeded tomatoes in single layer on foil. Sprinkle with brown sugar.




Bake until all liquid has evaporated and tomatoes begin to color, about 30-40 minutes. Let tomatoes cool slightly, then peel them off foil; transfer to small bowl and set aside. Heat butter over medium heat in Dutch oven until melted. Add onion and tomato paste. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 7 to 10 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, about 30 seconds. Gradually add chicken stock, reserved tomato juice and roasted tomatoes.



Cover, increase heat to medium, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Pour mixture through strainer and into medium bowl; rinse out pot. Transfer tomatoes and any solids in strainer to blender; add 1 cup strained liquid and puree until smooth. Place pureed mixture and remaining strained liquid in saucepan. Add cream and warm over low heat until hot, about 3 minutes. Off heat, stir in bourbon and season with salt and cayenne. Serve immediately.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...