Thursday, March 4, 2010

creamy cauliflower soup



I know, I know, it's March.  I should be rejoicing in the Spring!
But, I'm not.
I'm cold. 
Really cold.
And all I want is more soup.
And why shouldn't I have it?  There's no reason not to.
I know you are feeling the same way.  So grab yourself a head of cauliflower and join me in hating that Spring is here and it's still freezing outside.

Creamy Cauliflower Soup
Serves 4-6.
1 head of cauliflower
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-3 sprigs of thyme
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan (I didn't have this *shock!* so I used a leftover rind of Parmiggiano Reggiano)
dash of cream
salt and pepper

Remove the leaves and tough core of the cauliflower.  Coarsely chop and set aside.



Heat the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat and add onion and garlic.  Saute until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.  Add cauliflower and thyme and saute again for about 3 minutes.





Add stock and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the cauliflower is very soft and falling apart, about 15 minutes.



*If you are using a rind, like I did, add it now*



Remove from heat and remove rind and thyme stalks.  Pour in a dash of cream and puree in batches in a blend, taking care with the hot liquids.

*If you are using regular Parmesan, stir it in now*

Serve with extra black pepper all over the top and swirled in.  Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. I love cauliflower soup! I am going to try this one for sure..it might just be a month or so until the hubby comes back!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...