Wednesday, October 31, 2012

pumpkin spice latte

There are about a million recipes out there for homemade pumpkin spice latte.
Starbucks makes the best of the chain brands, in my opinion.
It doesn't have that "dry spice" taste that Panera or Dunkin' has.
So, if I have to model my latte after something, theirs would be it.

I love love this time of year and to me, there is nothing like sipping on one of these on an early, crisp, Fall morning while the babies are still sleeping.
But, I refuse to:
a) leave the house in the wee hours of the morning to get said latte
b) pay that much.

So, I set out to combine a bunch of internet recipes to suit my own tastes.

As I said, I hate that "dry spice" tastes, where there are bits of cinnamon still left on my tongue.
So, I came up with this.
Hope you like it as much as I do!


Pumpkin Spice Latte
Makes one.
*this is not a real latte.  This is my version.*
2-3 tablespoons pumpkin spice syrup (recipe below)
1/2 mug hot whole milk
1/2 mug strong brewed Dutch coffee
Homemade whipped cream
Freshly grated nutmeg

Combine syrup and milk and whisk to combine and make a bit frothy.  Add coffee and stir.  Taste and add sweetener of choice or coffee till it's perfect.  Dollop on a ridiculous amount of whipped cream and grate some fresh nutmeg over the top.  Be in heaven.

Pumpkin Spice Syrup
3 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice...use my homemade version or use storebought
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup pumpkin puree....canned or fresh

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.  Simmer for about 5-10 minutes, until thick and bubbly and the whole house smells great.  Strain through a fine sieve into a glass container and store the fridge for up to 2 weeks.


2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...