Sunday, November 28, 2010

creamy turkey and wild rice soup

Need to do something interesting with those turkey leftovers??
I do.
And I'm just sick of turkey pot pie.
I love turkey hash and I love turkey noodle soup but I stumbled across this recipe and I had to try it!
I made a few adjustments and voila!
A perfect way to use up some leftovers plus it's actually healthy for you.
Read that again.
Healthy.
Thanksgiving.
Healthy?
:)
Enjoy!


Creamy Turkey and Wild Rice Soup
Serves 4-6.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups sliced mushrooms
3/4 cup diced celery
3/4 cup diced carrots
1/4 cup diced onions, shallots, or leeks
1/4 cup flour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 cups home-made chicken stock (or turkey, if you've got it!)
1 cup quick-cooking or instant wild rice
3 cups shredded cooked turkey
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, celery, carrots, and onions and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more.
Add stock and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Add rice and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until the rice is tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in turkey, sour cream and parsley and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes more.

3 comments:

  1. okay that is just so yummy looking... making ham and bean soup today but tomorrow I'm thinking some of that turkey soup is looking good!
    Coming by from SITS... now I just have to find the recipe for the pinwheel thingy on the picture collage... or maybe I shouldn't since my pants still fit. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. It isn't a great picture but its def the best thing that I've found to do with turkey in awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! I think the colors in the photo are great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...