Wednesday, January 18, 2012

chocolate creme brulee

I need birthday cake for my birthday.
Cake.
Has to be.

My husband, however, likes to change it up.
Likes to horrify me.
With all sorts of crazy suggestions on what his birthday "cake" should be.
Like trifle.
Pie.
Cupcakes.  
(At least those are technically cake...)

Or, chocolate creme brulee.

And as much as I hate it, it is his birthday.
So, I make what he wants.
:)

Happy Birthday, my love!

Chocolate Creme Brulee
Makes 6.
From Paula Deen.
1 quart heavy cream 
1 cup sugar 
1 ounce chocolate Godiva liqueur 
1/2 tablespoon vanilla 
2 ounces cocoa powder 
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate 
11 large egg yolks

Preheat the oven to 350*.
In a medium sized saucepan over medium-high heat, add the heavy cream, sugar, liqueur, and vanilla. When the mixture is warm, sift in the cocoa powder and add the chocolate and whisk until blended.
Place the egg yolks in a large stainless steel bowl. Slowly add the warm chocolate mixture to the eggs a little at a time while whisking. Strain and pour into individual porcelain ramekins. Place the ramekins in a large baking pan. Pour enough hot water into the pan to come half way up the sides of the ramekins. Bake until firm in the center, about 30 minutes. Remove the ramekins from the water bath and let cool completely. Place in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Dust with sugar and caramelize with a propane torch. Serve immediately and enjoy!


I love that crunchy shell.


And that velvety smooth inside.
Mmm.


I guess I wasn't so mad that we didn't have cake...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...