Tuesday, August 11, 2009

peanut butter chocolate chip energy bars


I grew up in a really outdoorsy family and Mike and I, as our own family, are no different. We love to camp, hike, kayak, etc. And for all of that outdoorsy stuff, you need long lasting energy. The first time I back-packed through Europe, I took lots of energy bars.

They were, in a word, disgusting.

Dry, too crumbly, absolutely no flavor. And having a husband in the Marine Corps means that I’ll either be buying a bunch of those sugar-overloaded granola bars from the store or creating my own. It took me a little while to get this right but I think I’ve finally landed upon a really chewy and not-too-dense energy bar, packed with flavor.


Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Energy Bars

Makes 14 regular size granola bars.

You can leave the peanut butter and chocolate chips out and add in dried fruit and another nut for an even more healthful bar.

1 cup nuts (any kind you like, I’ve been using macadamia lately…)

3 cups old fashioned oats, divided

1 cup toasted sunflower seeds

½ cup coconut flakes

½ cup toasted wheat germ

1 cup dry milk

3 eggs

¾ cup maple syrup

½ - ¾ cup creamy peanut butter

1 cup chocolate chips, more to taste


Begin by pulsing the nuts in a food processor until mostly chopped.



Add 2 cups oats, sunflower seeds, coconut, wheat germ, dry milk, eggs, and maple syrup. Pulse until it develops a really coarse paste. (You don’t want to over-do this – I like my bars chunkier)



Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add in the remaining oats, peanut butter and chocolate chips. Stir to combine.



Pour into greased 13”x9” baking pan. Spread with a spatula.



Bake at 350˚ for 30-40 minutes until golden brown on top. Cool completely. Cut into 14 bars.


Will keep for about a week or up to 3 months in the freezer.

3 comments:

  1. question: my food processor is a baby one. should i just mix it in batches or will pulsing a blender get the job done?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, either really. Chop the nuts first and then I'd prolly just mix it in batches and dump all into a big bowl. I like mine extra chunky so you'll be fine doing it this way...it might even be better! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...