Friday, June 22, 2012

arugula chickpea pesto

Okay, so this is pretty brilliant.
I love love pesto.
I love love arugula.
And arugula pesto isn't really new news.
But, arugula pesto can be kinda bitter.
That's why you add nuts.
But, I didn't have nuts on hand when I was making this.
(Do you ever start recipes without really thinking about all the ingredients.  
I do.
Constantly.)
So, I added a can of drained, rinsed chickpeas and it turned out brilliantly.
Slightly nutty and really really mellowed out the arugula flavor.
It was so. good.
I froze a ton.
Might be my new favorite pesto.


Serve over pasta and peas, on bruschetta, stuffed in mushroom caps, over eggs....let me know what you come up with!



Arugula Chickpea Pesto
Makes about 2 cups.
Freezes beautifully!   ....ice cubes or small snack ziplocks.3 garlic cloves, peeled 
6 ounces dry arugula (about 3 cups), preferably very young leaves
1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup olive oil
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until very blended.  Serve over warm pasta and peas! :)








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...