Friday, July 10, 2009

cinnamon granola


I must tell you that for some time I have been searching for the perfect granola recipe. It must be crispy and chewy at the same time. It must be filled with nuts (my favorite) and yummy, warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. And above all, it must actually be healthy for you.


The stuff from the store? Meh. My mother in law’s? Quite good but I’m looking for an inexpensive, healthy way to go about this. And, voila!, we have arrived at a low cost, low fat, crispy, chewy creation that is a perfect topping for a bowl of Greek yogurt and fresh raspberries. Or just eat handfuls of it like Mike does. Enjoy!


Granola

This may be stored in a ziplock bag for about 2 weeks.

Makes about 7 cups.

3 cups old fashioned rolled oats

1 cup sunflower seeds

1 cup coconut, shredded

1 cup chopped walnuts

½ cup chopped pecans

½ cup slivered almonds

½ teaspoon cinnamon

¼ teaspoon nutmeg

½ cup pure maple syrup

Cooking spray


Spray a 10”x13” jelly roll pan with the cooking spray.

Mix all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.



Dump mixture into pre-greased pan.



Mix in the maple syrup until well coated. (I do this with my hands.)



Bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, or until the desired shade of brown.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...