Friday, May 27, 2011

oatmeal creme pies....or not.


Okay, so these are not the Little Debbie oatmeal creme pies.
I was really hoping they were.
But they aren't.

I love those little pies.
Besides Oreos and ice cream, I could eat those pies all day long.

And I have been searching for years for a recipe.
I found a few and bookmarked all and eventually decided to get up the nerve to try it.
Because, you know, I'd be incredibly disappointed if they didn't turn out.
And I don't deal with failure well.

So, I finally combined all the recipes into something that I thought would be the most similar.

Fail.
Not close.

Well, okay.  Pretty close.
And pretty darn tasty.
And my husband and best friend taster says that they are better.

Meh.
I still like the originals better.
But, I have to admit, these are pretty yummy.

Reflection: you know what these do taste like?
After having one a few more, they taste exactly like a Double Doozie at the Great American Cookie Company.
Ya know, in the malls.
So, go get an oatmeal Double Doozie and then try this recipe and tell me that they don't taste exactly like those.
So....
win!
:)


Oatmeal Creme Pies
Makes about 1 1/2 - 2 dozen
Taken from multiple Google-search-"oatmeal creme pie"-results.
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup butter, at room temp
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups quick oats (must be quick and not old-fashioned)
1/4 cup butter, at room temp
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla 


Preheat your oven to 350*.
Sift the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon in a bowl.  Set aside.
In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add in eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in molasses and vanilla.
Add the flour mixture to creamed mixture slowly and mix until just blended.  Then, fold in the oats with a rubber spatula. 
Drop dough by tablespoons on parchment lined baking sheets, about 2" apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until just starting to get golden around the edges. Do not overbake!  You want the centers to still look moist and puffy.  Let sit on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes and then transfer to wire racks or foil to cool completely.
While the cookies are baking, cream the butter and shortening together in a large bowl.  Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
Spread filling on flat side of one cookie and press another cookie on top.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. These look pretty darn good, but if you ever find a recipe for anything that comes close to the oatmeal cream pies of Little D you MUST let me know! I'm right there with you- I could eat a box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! They are good but I'm still on the hunt for the "real thing"....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! I do so love those Little Debbie oatmeal creme pies. Oh...now I think I need some.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...