Monday, March 12, 2012

pineapple upside down cake

I've literally been making this cake since I was about four.
My mom used to help me when I was too young to touch the hot pan.
...and actually I'm sure that she did most of the work when I was four, but I'm also pretty sure that I took all the credit for it.
For as long as I can remember, my dad has requested one of two cakes for his birthday.
This one was the earliest request that I can remember.
Hence, probably one of the earliest cakes that I've ever baked.

So so so easy.
And a classic.


Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Makes one, 9" cake.
From the 1980 Betty Crocker cookbook.
1 8 ounce can pineapple slices
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
Maraschino cherries
1 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup Crisco
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Preheat your oven to 350*.
Drain pineapple, reserving liquid.  Set aside.
Pour melted butter in a 9" round cake pan.  Stir in brown sugar and 1 tablespoon reserved pineapple juice.
Add some water to the remaining pineapple juice to get 2/3 cup.
Arrange pineapple and cherries in the pan, over the brown sugar/butter mixture.
Sift flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
Beat Crisco and sugar until well creamed.  Add egg and vanilla and beat.  Mix in flour mixture and pineapple mixture, alternating.
Spread in pan and bake for 40 minutes.
Cool for 5 minutes and then invert onto a serving dish.  Serve warm and enjoy!
(Or it's really really good the next morning, cool :) )











No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...