Saturday, August 14, 2010

bacon and scallion waffles with spicy syrup

I love love love waffles.
You know this by now, right?

But, this pregnancy is playing tricks on me.

So, instead of my usual sweet tooth, I threw some bacon and scallions in my standard waffle mix and spiced up some maple syrup.  It was delicious!!


I know it sounds kinda strange but it was really really tasty.  Just try it!

Bacon and Scallion Waffles with Spicy Syrup
Serves 2-4.  And just disregard the SIX egg yolks in the picture....I always triple the recipe and freeze the leftovers!  Did you know that waffles freeze super well??  They do.
I'm trying corn and jalapeno next ;)

1 3/4 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 egg whites
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
4 scallions, sliced
1 cup maple syrup
Pinch cinnamon
Pinch cayenne
Pinch chili powder

Preheat your waffle iron.
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. 


Add egg yolks, milk and oil and stir gently to combine.


Whip egg whites until stiff peaks form and then fold very carefully into batter.  There will still be lumps!


Fold in crumbled bacon and chopped scallions.


Pour the batter (however much your waffle iron calls for) and bake until golden.  Keep in a warm oven until they are all cooked.
Meanwhile, combine the syrup and spices in a small saucepan and heat until warm.
Serve over the waffles and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This was SUPER Good! Wish my little cook was here to make me some.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...